Monday 16 June 2008

Nature's children

Well,

Sweet vacations are here. Many jobless friends are in front of comps with an internet connection they are not ashamed of having, the immediate effect being super updated blogs. Then there are those few kind enough to mention my blog on one of theirs. Seeing mine perpetually at the bottom of every one of those, here goes nothing.

There is also the broken promise on that last post.

There is this theory I would like to propound. The most cherished of our nostalgic memories are always those that are closest to nature. By nature, I don't imply wild jungles or discovery documentaries, but those aspects of our lives which invariably bring us closer to the way nature had meant creatures to be. Before I get more vague and deter you away, let me illustrate.

We are more prone to indulge in reminiscence of past times that we indulge in with minimal technology. Whether it be a trip to the beach, where we got held up due to a rainstorm, or spending time, gathering together and playing cards - stuff that we do without computers and the like. More distinct and nostalgic are my memories of first semester, spent in the hostels without the intrusion of electronic devices, which now consume most of our time. A full day without power during the fourth semester was very hard to get by as a result of our marriage to computers. But thinking back, there is always the feeling that I spent my first semester better.

Ever wondered why it is more thrilling to watch a game at a stadium rather where you can just about make out what is happening, without close up camera replays rather than a television? Why the most advanced acoustics can never simulate the atmosphere of a live concert?

The following semesters of college will be dedicated to more exploration, generation of memories than ever before and retying lost bonds with nature. I really miss those days spent downstairs, climbing every tree in the apartment, turning a blind eye to anyone who threatened to complain to my father, who happened to teach me how to!

I would really appreciate your take on this. I want to find out how people feel about this.

5 comments:

Half-Light said...

Great to have you back :)

Valid point, I don't like the fact that we cannot get through a single day without our computers. For this reason, i went through a week entirely without touching my computer in the 4th sem. Trust me, it was better than all the other weeks that semester. Really wish we could do whatever we used to in first year. Sit down together in somebody's room, play cards, talk about random things, have football arguments, and what not. Pity, the probability of that happening is atrociously low.

Vikram said...

Sorry typo on the last one.

You've got a nice point. But technology is here to stay. We can't get rid of computers. It's just a futile wish. We just need to find the right balance. Personally, I've managed to find ample time in college for the things that I want to do. For example, I keep telling myself that 5:30 to 7:30 is play time. The computer can wait. That said, I hope I'll be able to maintain my time management in the semesters to come.

bala said...

here's my take: i back you one hundred percent.
throughout the second year i felt that i had a better time in the first year mainly because guys weren't glued to their computers all the time.given a choice between going out on a Saturday evening and a game of dota or a movie on the comp i'm sure most people would choose the latter.sac movies have become couples-only affairs and the swimming pool caters almost entirely to 1st years.
i have to admit i'm guilty of all the above charges!
those were the days.

Unknown said...

Good too see everybody is feeling that way. Maybe there is hope for semesters to come. There are plenty of places around there. We should start stepping out!

Dr. Flycatcher said...

I'm game.